What Is a Kybella Treatment Session Like?
Kybella is an injectable treatment for chin fat removal or submental fullness. It is FDA-approved, safe and has no associated risk. Kybella is injected beneath the chin, into the fat where the deoxycholic acid present in the injection kills fat cells, reducing the fullness under the chin. Once destroyed, these fat cells cannot accumulate or store fat.
- Before the procedure, your cosmetic expert examines the areas around and under your chin to determine whether you are a candidate for Kybella.
- On the day of the treatment, your medical professional will mark the areas by drawing some lines to determine the exact injection sites. A topical numbing agent may be administered to ensure comfort.
- The number of injections depend upon the extent of fullness you have under your chin and your aesthetic expectations. Generally, 20-50 quick shots are administered.
- You might feel a burning sensation after each shot but it is a very minor side effect and fades away within a few minutes. However, if you have low tolerance to pain, talk to your cosmetic doctor well in advance.
- Kybella is an outpatient procedure and you can go back home as soon as the session is complete. If you experience swelling, avoid strenuous physical activity until it subsides.
The treatment lasts 15-20 minutes. Full results can be seen 5-6 weeks after the procedure. Additional treatments might be necessary if you gain weight and the existing fat cells expand.